Windows play a vital role in home safety, serving as a secondary escape route in the event of a fire or other emergency, but they can also pose a risk for a fall if safety measures are not followed. Follow these guidelines to prevent window-related injuries in the home:
- Keep windows closed and locked when children are around
- When opening windows for ventilation, open windows that children cannot reach
- Don’t rely on insect screens to prevent a fall, as they are designed to provide ventilation and not to prevent a child’s fall from a window
- Keep furniture, or anything children can climb, away from windows
- Determine your family’s emergency escape plan and practice it regularly
- Make sure nothing is blocking or preventing a window from being opened in the case of an emergency.
Download this Window Safety Checklist from the National Safety Council.